Good governance and strong leadership are crucial for the success of any academy, and now more important than ever.
Over time and at the request of our clients, we have developed a wide range of training topics to help academy directors, governors and senior leadership to get to grips with the constitutional changes and leadership responsibilities that come with academy status.
At Wrigleys we can provide training tailored to your organisation's specific needs.
The following are examples of previous training events:
Constitution & governance
- Understanding the constitutional matrix – A study of your academy’s articles and the legal implications of being an academy trust and exempt charity.
- The role and responsibilities of Governors as company directors and charity trustees.
- Recruiting and retaining good governors - Identifying skills gaps, determining eligibility and completing the vetting process (including the requirements of the Local Authority Associated Person (LAAP) rules).
- Good decision-making – understanding the principles charity trustees should apply in making important decisions, managing risks and complying with legal responsibilities
- Delegation – Do’s and Don’ts – understanding the power and extent of delegations and the trustees responsibilities and liabilities.
- Handling conflicts of interest – identifying and demonstrating effective management of conflicts of interest.
Charity and company law
- Charity trading and raising money – a guide to the legal framework within which academies can raise funds.
- Exempt charity status – What this means for your academy and the interplay between the role of the EFA and the Charity Commission.
- The role of the company secretary - Intended for Clerks to Governors, School
- Business Managers or anyone else who is (or about to become) the Company
- Secretary of an academy trust.
Timing and Locations
Training can be organised at a location and time to suit you and your colleagues.
We recommend either a full day or half day sessions. Evening sessions often work well if held immediately before governor meetings.
We also run regular client events that may be helpful for your school. Full details can be found here.
"The Governors found the training very useful"
- Head of School from a County Durham Academy