Dr John McMullen
Telephone: 0113 204 5706
Department: Charities & Social Economy
Areas of practice:
John has over 25 years experience in employment law and is noted as being a strategic thinker and leader in his field as well as being a practical hands-on lawyer.
He is one of the leading lawyers in the UK with a national and international reputation.
John is regarded as the leading expert in the UK on Transfer of Undertakings and he also has an international reputation in that field.
He is variously described as the "TUPE guru", the "king of TUPE" and "Mr TUPE". As well as being a writer and commentator on transfers, he advises the public, private and third sectors on the subject. This includes wide experience in mergers and acquisitions, outsourcing, franchising and complex restructuring.
He has extensive expertise in all areas of employment law including redundancies and restructuring, information and consultation, discrimination and high level executive termination of employment.
An all round employment law adviser, he is an editor of Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law, the practitioner's "bible".
"His knowledge of TUPE is second to none. He is always up to date and has the ability to break down the most complicated question and answer it accurately and succinctly." (Chambers & Partners)
"Field leader in TUPE" (Legal 500)
- Visiting Professor of Law, Durham University
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Fellow of the Society for Advanced Legal Studies
- Executive Committee Member, Industrial Law Society
- Member, Employment Lawyers Association
- Member, European Employment Lawyers Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Business Transfers and Employee Rights (loose-leaf encyclopaedia)
- Redundancy: The Law and Practice (3rd Ed, 2011)
- Member, Editorial Board, Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law
- Contributor: Tolley's Employment Law and Tolley's Employment and Personnel Procedures